The Vaughn-Walling American Legion Post #550 has been going strong for over 72 years.
First chartered in 1946, the meetings were held in an old community building located under the water tower on The Square in Pilot Point.
‘Some meetings were even held under the water tower, especially on hot nights and there was usually a keg of beer brought in to help cool things off. Under the leadership of Commander George Smith between 1949-1950, Post #550 purchased an old feed store on Hwy 10 from J. Juan O’Dell and the Legion met there for a number of years. However, with membership down and the building about to collapse, Commander Robert Mayer with the support of Dr. Marion Groff and the members, the old Post #550 building was traded to Monroe Moses for 1 ½ acres of land on Hwy 455 west of Pilot Point, which is now lake property. With much hard work from the members, they structured and built the building out of cinder tile. Robert Mayer, Dr. Groff, Billy Mayer, J.W. Scott, H.A. Simmons, Joe Sparks, Leonard Berend and Arthur Schon; just to name a few. In 1983, The Legion once again was in trouble because the new Lake Ray Roberts was soon to take our property. Commander Robert Pedigo appoint a committee consisting of himself, James May and Dr. Marion Groff to meet with the Corps of Engineers to try for a good settlement. After several meetings we agreed on a price of $93,500.00. The closing was on August 18, 1983. At that time, Omar Jones approached the Legion on locating in the Industrial area. A contract for 2.2 acres on Foundation Road was signed in November 1983. The building was built in 1984, again with a lot of hard labor from the members: Commander Robert Pedigo, Harold Wilson, Sam Powers, Danny Chandler, Ronnie Alexander, and Bud Martin, just to mention a few. Seeing that we may run out of money, we made a note at the Pilot Point National Bank for 20,000.00 – ten (10) year payout.’
In January 1995 the Legion made the last payment and celebrated with a Note Burning Party.
Today, The Vaughn-Walling American Legion Post #550 is an essential component in our community thanks to all the members who have gone before us and those who are with us today.
Now it is our turn to ensure that Post #550 endures for generations to come. With a clear vision of the future and with the cooperation of our Post #550 American Legion Auxiliary, Sons and Riders we are committed to continue the mission of the American Legion and to be a continued presence in our area for the sake of all Veterans and our community as a whole.
The American Legion was chartered by Congress in 1919 as a patriotic veterans organization. Focusing on service to veterans, servicemembers and communities, the Legion evolved from a group of war-weary veterans of World War I into one of the most influential nonprofit groups in the United States. Membership swiftly grew to over 1 million, and local posts sprang up across the country. Today, membership stands at over 2 million in more than 13,000 posts worldwide. The posts are organized into 55 departments: one each for the 50 states, along with the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, France, Mexico and the Philippines.